Hi everyone,

I took Stephen in to see the NP at Dana Farber cause he woke up gagging up 2-3 inch blood clots Never has coughed up anything but mucous that was tinged with blood...
I then saw some dark blood in his tube contents. The NP thought it was alittle worrisomebut not enough to run a scan. She figured it was some tissue that dislodged and the blood in the tube was some he had swallowed.
We then got home to find a possiblke infection at the tube site. He had also told theNP that he was having pain and tenderness in his stomach. I just took his temp. and it is 100 degrees. I had told the NP I thought it was an infection because the edges of the tube site were hard and raised , like an infection around a cut geys but she didn't think that having seen him this afternoon. I asked her to give us an antibiotic over the phone just in case and its the long weekend but she wouldnt. Now I have to bring him to the ER in the morning Does anyone know anything about the tube site infections amd what causes them.
I'm assuming the blood clots and the infection are independent of each other. Does anyone have any ideas. Are two inch blood clots out of the blue,3 weeks post tx,normal?

Help...Kerry(its just when I thought things would settle down a bit..I wasn't even hoping for good...)

Kerry/wife of stephenm
StageIV - Base of Tongue T4N0M0
XRT x42 / Taxol and Carboplatin x4
Tx. Finished 5/08/06