Amy,
I am shocked at your doctors response. Mine were adamant about bloodwork done pre, during and post Tx and I still have to get full bloodwork done 3 1/2 years later every 6 months. They did trend analysis on the numbers. I have hep C also so maybe that makes a difference. In addition to the regular stuff, CBC, etc., they were always checking ALT and STOG levels. I also get a semiannual TSH test.

I forgot to mention that they did listen to my heart with a stethoscope every visit (the MO anyway) so maybe the ER docs heard something that made them do an EKG becuase that wouldn't be a standard ER test. Why was he in the ER?

This is the hardest time, post Tx, he will have a lot of problems with coughing, choking and hacking up stuff. Pnuemonia is a very real possibility (especially since the immune system is trashed and also because it is easy to aspirate something into the lungs) and that's why you need to monitor temperature very closely. I took mine in the morning and at night every day.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)