Diflucan (or any of the ...azole family of drugs)is more effective than Nystatin. I hold the record at UCSFCCC for how much and how long I took Diflucan. I constantly battled thrush for several months anyway. I did some research and discovered that some AIDS patients get as much as 800 mg of Diflucan a day! The recommended "maintenance" dose for cancer patients is 50 mg/day I was taking 200mg/day. In comparison, when women have a yeast infection, they will typically be given a single 100 mg tablet and it's over with.

Diflucan, if taken over a long time and high dose rate, can suppress the white cell count.

They tried me on the Nystatin orange flavored swish & spit and that stuff was horrible. It gave me great pleasure pouring that crap down the toilet when the thrush days were over with.

I don't remember ever having an EKG ever during the whole treatment process. They would just check BP and temp (and they still do).

There certainly could be contraindications and interactions with different meds and other physiological issues stemming from body chemistry changes. I would get a consult with your MO.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)