I want to make sure that we haven't scared Amy and John about the trach. Obviously, no one would volunteer to have one, no one wishes for one. Obviously there is going to be fear related to this. BUT, 99% of my fear came from not knowing what to expect, not having any knowledge about a trach. I didn't find this board until I was finished with radiation, until then I had no contact with anyone that had been through the ordeal I had been through. I speak with great confidence when I say that my fear would have been greatly reduced if I had been empowered with knowledge of the trach. Not how it was put in, not how to suction it, not how it worked. Knowledge of how it would make me feel. I have always said that I can handle anything if I just know what to expect, I hate to be blindsided. The trach blindsided me, I wasn't prepared for it. If I had to do it again, I would breeze through. So, with that said, I hope that our knowledge will lessen Johns fears rather then increase them!
Love,
Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.