Hi Amy,
I've thought of you and John alot today and Dani's post reminded me to tell you that my trach scar is barely noticable also. I did have a cosmetic surgery to revise it but it still didn't look bad at all to begin with.
When I was diagnosed it was like walking into a world that I didn't know existed and I simply didn't have time to acclimate myself. I had to really, really trust my feelings. Much is said on this board about second opinions, and I agree with all that is said, a second opinion can be a valuable, sometimes lifesaving, tool. I also believe there are times that we just know there is no need for a second opinion because the first opinion simply feels right. That's how it was with me. I knew the moment I met my doctors that I was where I needed to be and we looked no further. I didn't research them, I didn't know their "track records", none of that. All I knew was that I believed every word they told me and I trusted that if anyone could save my life that it would be them. In almost three years they have yet to let me down. They know the names of all my children, spent the day at the walk a thon I hosted, and spent hours helping me set up my upcoming implants. What I am trying to say is to examine your feelings and make sure this is how you feel about Johns doctors. If you don't, then get a second opinion. If that means going to MD Anderson, then go, even if it means you have to beg, borrow and plead for the money. Shoot, I'll loan you the money myself if you need it. They say that doctors like to play God, have a God complex. I like to think of it as a role forced on them as they have people placing their lives in their hands on a daily basis.
I have always taken chances based on instinct and it's never let me down. Shoot, everyone told me that my husband was to different from me for a marriage to work............boy were they wrong, my instincts were correct when they told me that he was top of the line husband material! And he's spent the past two decades proving it to me and everyone else.
I'm rambling here. Hope I'm making my point though. Listen to yourself concerning the doctors.
I'm here if needed.
Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.