Seremom,

As in your case, I was not prepared for the slow decline in health following chemoradiation. I thought that there would be a gradual recovery from that point. I had no clue. As in your husband's case, nutrition has been a struggle due to the nause and vomiting resulting from the heavy flow of mucus and the painkillers.

I too was fighting severe depression so I decided to seek help from my doctor because I felt I would be of more positive help if I was not as depressed. He prescribed Lexapro and that seemed to help.

I addition the support and encouragement I received from the wonderful and caring people on this site has helped to alleviate some of my fears in reading about similar experiences as in our case.

I feel that after about a year (dx in January 2005) of our war against this cancer I am finally moving in an acceptance stage and this is causing less stress and turmoil in my life as a caregiver.

Thank you for your encouragement and reply and indeed this is a very long journey - a lot longer than I had imagined.

I am happy to hear that Ken is improving and I would like to extend my best wishes to you and Ken for a full recovery.

Vin

CG to wife;
Jan 2005 DX SCC Tongue T2N1MO; RND surgery Mar 2005; 35 XRT and 4 cisplatin completed Jul 2005.
Dec 2006 tongue surgery, Scar tissue no cancer.
Feb 2010 neck node FNA - negative.
2010 ORN right jaw plus fracture
2015 ORN left jaw plus fracture
Feb 2016 Lower jaw reconstruction by Fibula free flap+titanium plate - Permanent G-tube
June 2016 Difficulty breathing - Permanent Trachea tube
Dec 2019 DX Cervical cancer - Stage 1 - Surgery Jan 16 2020.
15-20 esophagus/larynx dilations