I agree the first thing you should check is calorie intake as an explanation for lack of energy and weight loss. The painkillers I was taking and the thick mucous (which made me vomit too) kept me from getting the calories I needed every day for about 4 months after radiation--I wasn't losing a lot of weight at once but I was losing about 4-6 pds a month which was enough to sap my energy I think. In fact, it wasn't until I went off the perscription painkillers that I really could tolerate pouring enough stuff down my tube to stabilize my weight. I also gained a lot of energy back when I went off the painkillers (not that I'm suggesting your family memebr should do this if they are still having serious pain). I also had the cold sweats when I was going off of them for a while, so, like Brian, much of this sounds familiar to me.

But I also agree that of you are worried, perhaps getting a second opinion at this point would ease your mind. It really stinks how long it takes to recover from this and I know it can be discouraging even to read here of people who seem to recover fast if you are (or your loved one is) one of the ones who is recovering at a snails pace. It can feel like something must be wrong just because nothing's getting better--I have definitely had those same worries. Please keep us informed, Vin, about how your family member is doing.

Nelie

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"