Cynthia....IF it were me, and I was in your Mom's situation, knowing what I know about the PEG tube, yes, I'd have one put now. I used mine faithfully for six months after chemo and RAD and then slowly as I was able to eat, the use of the PEG tube became a secondary way for me to get enough liquid and caloric intake to keep me out of the hospital. I kept my PEG tube in for a year. When I had it removed I felt confident that I could keep up with both my liquid and food intake.

I'm guessing to put the tube in would just require out patient surgery but I am not completely sure of that. I strongly encourage anyone going through chemo and RAD to use the PEG tube. It is easy to deal with, it causes little trouble, if any, and it is a huge benifit. The PEG tube assures you a decent caloric intake and less to worry about in terms of how you're gonna get food and liquid down a very painful and sore throat. I know that it kept me out of the hospital on more than one occasion since it was about the only way I could keep hydrated.

Sending both you and your Mom good thoughts and a speedy recovery. Sincerely, Donna

SCC first time 1989, with a diagnoses of 'cancer in situ' removed lesion, no other treatments.
SCC recurrence 1997 of tongue and floor of the mouth. Stage III /IV Hemmiglossectomy (removed over 60% of tongue/ floor of the mouth), free flap, modified neck, RAD and Chemo(cisplatin, 5fu) simutainously.
Cancer free 6, yes, six, years!