Hi Cheryl,

I'll try my best to describe my palatal drop prosthesis but I'm sure I won't do it justice. My prosthesis was "designed" specifically for me by a maxillofacial prosthetics prosthodontist (a genius in my book!). It attaches to the roof of my mouth much like a retainer does if you've ever had braces. The mouthpiece "drops" down and consumes a large portion of the space that would normally be between my tongue and the roof of my mouth closing up the empty space left after my glossectomy.

Although people can understand me when I'm not wearing it, the clarity of my speech is 100% better when I do have it in. Believe me my speech isn't perfect by any means but it's better than I could have ever imagined considering the amount / type of surgery that I had.

I know I'm not doing this mouthpiece justice in trying to describe it but maybe Brian (or somebody else) can better describe it.

Nancy

Stage IV oral cancer (tongue), T3N2, total glossectomy with right and left modified neck dissection 7/03, rad /chemo ended 11/03