Hey people!! Happy Fathers Day!! Wer'e still here! Doreen, tell Lee hello & to keep his chin up! That goes for you too. I did not have laryngectomy, but I did have 40% right ressection & forearm free flap which for a long time I thought had very limited mobility because it was sutured down tight to floor of mouth, but I've either adjusted or the tissue has stretched from use or both. I never stopped trying to eat orally through the whole thing, even when just a sip of water would make me cough a lung out! I only had the trach for a couple of weeks. I do know that so much of how I function now is just "normal" for me. As in I always eat with a pile of napkins, I can't lick my lips, I can't clean food from my teeth so I always carry floss, I almost always drink milk with everything I eat to get it down, etc. I still occasionally find I've eaten something that just won't go down & is just stuck there in the back of my throat in a wad that I have to run to the sink & hack out! But I have come a long ways for sure. My kids reminded me of that today! Where Lee is at right now is bad for sure, but unfortunately is the new reality & he will adapt & be better, feel better, & get better. It just takes time & effort. Most of us here have gone through our own grueling, hellish treatments, struggles & despair. Those same folks will tell you it does get better, but takes some time. Take care, Erik

dx 2/11/04 scca bot T3 IU 2B MO poorly differentiated, margins ok, 3/16 modest, jaw split, over half of tongue removed, free flap from left forearm - finished chemo & rad treatment 5/20/04