Hi Doreen,

I see you had no replies. I posted on June 16 for the first time in both "After Treatment Issues" and "Introduce Yourself". No replies yet so I don't want you to have the same frustration. I had a subtotal glossectomy, forearm free flap, and pharyngoplasty for recurrent anterior, base of tongue and pharyngeal cancer in Feb 04 plus 36 rads finished in May 04. PEG tube in Feb 04 which I still have. Larynx was not involved. Complications included cellulitis infections in June and Oct 04 which held up swallowing and speech therapy until Dec 04. Plus good old mucous and tight mouth which must be constantly stretched to get suppleness. Finally passed modified Barium swallow test in late Feb 04 but am confined to liquids through a syringe that "squirts" to back of tongue. My "new" tongue is sutured to floor of mouth, therefore its immobility, according to the therapist, accounts for having the syringe and lack of good speech. Therapist showed me a book that seemed to suggest the possibility of freeing the tongue surgically. I am going to see my ENT June 22 and I will ask him. Failing a satisfactory answer, I will try to contact the book's author for more details. Did your husband have a free flap reconstruction and if so, is it mobile or sutured?
My point of all this is that I have read where total glossectomy patients have returned to eating by mouth. I was always tired after rad so I fully understand. I am not giving up, nor should you.
God Bless you and your husband as you struggle with this dread disease. Even though I have great home support, believe me, no one understands that hasn't been there. I'll pass on information as I get it. Feel free to ask questions.