Hi Tonya,

Just wanted you and David to know that talking without a tongue is possible! I had a total glossectomy, left and right neck dissection in July of 2003. I also had a feeding tube and a trach. I had both of these removed after 8 1/2 months and also worked with a speech therapist once a week for about 4 months. I have a palatal drop mouth prosthesis which helps me to speak pretty darn clear! I work full-time and people seem to understand me just fine. Although eating is a challenge, it's very doable as I'm able to eat just about anything I set my mind to (chicken, steak, seafood, pasta, etc.). So all in all I just wanted you and David to know that it is possible to eat and speak after extensive surgery to the tongue. I won't kid you, it's a long, hard and often rocky road but it's very doable with some determination. Tell David to hang in there, it does get better!

Hugs, Nancy

Stage IV oral cancer (tongue), T3N2, total glossectomy with right and left modified neck dissection 7/03, rad /chemo ended 11/03