Thanks for all your support. I am feeling better today and ready to fight this vicious disease once more. I have found a wonderful device that will let David type what he wants to communicate and it will say it electronically. He can even use it on the phone. I am talking to speech consultants about it today. This is not the end of the road, just a big tree that fell across our path and we will find a way around it. The doctors said David is doing wonderful. He is healing well and they even had him "sitting", or more like leaning back, in a chair yesterday with supports around his head. We will see him Friday (the hospital is over 1,000 miles from here). I hope he is out of ICU by then so I can sit with him during the night. I'm going to take my laptop for him to use in the meantime. His motor skills are still shaky, but maybe they will improve during the week.
Before this is over maybe I won't be just asking for help all the time and will be able to assist others on this forum.
Thoughts to all of you and thanks for your help.

Sister of 32 year-old oral cancer victim. Our battle is over but the war rages on. My brother passed July 26, 2005. He was a smokeless tobacco user.