Thank you all. We are back from Houston. He is doing very well, considering. A lot of swelling but his wounds are healing very nicely. He is up and walking some. He's having problems keeping down the liquid food they are putting in his feeding tube so that is awful when he gets sick. He has a trake (sp?) and we are learning to take care of that. Hopefully he will only have it a couple of weeks, if all goes well. I am trying to emerse myself in sign language books so I can began teaching him and our family when he gets home. My husband gently reminds me that our toughest days are still ahead. On one level I am aware of that, but on another I know I will have no idea how rough until those days are here. I hope that makes sense. I asked his wife what kind of time they had given him (it's the control part of me - I need to be prepared), but she said she didn't want people talking about that or counting his days. She's right. So I will keep reminding myself how grateful we are for today and learn to be at peace with that.
Thanks again, and please keep David and his little family in your prayers. You will each be in ours.
Tonya

Sister of 32 year-old oral cancer victim. Our battle is over but the war rages on. My brother passed July 26, 2005. He was a smokeless tobacco user.