angie,

my sister too did not have insurance as she was diagnosed shortly after she'd lost her job. even though she first received treatment at a UCLA facility under the supervision of some big-shot surgeon, i am convinced that there were many errors in the initial approach, which, similar to your brother's case, was devised by a surgeon without comprehensive consultation. and my sister is unfortunately paying the price for it. so much for cancer not being a political topic!

anyway, the current protocol for treatment of oral cancers is to start with chemo and radiation before heading into surgery. you can get more information about this stuff on this site as well as on American Cancer Society and National Cancer Institue sites.

where is your brother? i suggest you post another message on this board to see if other members here may be able to recommend a comprehensive care facility where you can at least get a multidisciplinary opinion. this is very important.

you may also want to check the forum on insurance and finances to see if you might find helpful tips or pointers.

be well.

gita

sister diagnosed 11/03 SCC maxilla keratenizing stg IV T1N1Mx; 4-7 positive lymph nodes; dissection 12/03 left upper pallette removd; radiaton left side 35 sessions 2/04-4/04; recurrence same side 4/04; chemo began 5/04 incl cisplatine, 5fu, taxotere