dear absmile,

i'm sorry about the news of your brother. my sister's recurrence also showed up before she had finished radiation. hers is on the same side as well. your brother's recurrence seems to have showed a bit too soon, but as i understand, recurrence is quite common in oral cancers and its speed depends on the stage and type of cancer as well as the treatment programme followed.

this is not necessarily devistating news but it is an indication that your brother's cancer is pretty aggressive, and thus the treatment plan may need to be re-evaluated accordingly. this may be a time to consider further and alternative multidisciplinary consultation, which basically means that you get opinions from surgical, medical and radiation oncologists.

recent studies show that radiation is much more effective when combined with chemotherapy. is your brother also receiving chemo? if not, he may want to discuss this with his oncologist. although i'm not sure if they can throw in chemo half-way through the radiation course, it is important that the medical team considers all options and possibilities.

the biggest problem with recurrences on the same side is that if that side has already been irradiated fully, then follow-up chemo will not be as effective (as showed up in my sister's case) and the possibility of further irradiation may also disappear. therefore, the need for timely and comprehensive approach.

i am very cursious to know if your brother had received chemotherapy prior to the surgery?

best wishes for healing and peace.

gita

sister diagnosed 11/03 SCC maxilla keratenizing stg IV T1N1Mx; 4-7 positive lymph nodes; dissection 12/03 left upper pallette removd; radiaton left side 35 sessions 2/04-4/04; recurrence same side 4/04; chemo began 5/04 incl cisplatine, 5fu, taxotere