Hello folks; For the the past month I have been working with the radiation oncologist to figure out why I have severe radiating neck pain on the right side. Both sides were radiated, but the rt. side took the boosts because the nodes were there. At this point it has begun to involve my shoulder and arm and there is a decreased range of motion and pain there as well.
He has put me on a course of neurontin, and I have heard from others that this has a good chance of being effective. In the meantime I continue to take Tylenol#3 about 4/daily to take the edge off the pain. I hate taking analgesics so I am usually undermedicated and experiencing more discomfort, but that's my choice. The family Doc thinks I should go back on hydromorphone (Dilaudid) but that really does a number on my concentration.
So the choice between "concentration and constipation" is a tricky one for sure. (Pardon my candor)
The Onc. thinks there may be early mets in the neural pathway, or just an irritated response to the assault of the rads. I have an MRI booked in 10 days.
I would appreciate any insight/feedback folks have on this issue.
Cheers, Fran

SCC Base of tongue diag. April 04 Stage IV, mets to rt. neck multiple nodes 35 rads+8 boosts First recurrence Jan05. Rt.rad neck dissection Feb02/05. Recurred with bone mets in neck July 05.
Committed to survival with dignity.