With the feeding tube in and in place, I stil lost almost 70lbs. during treatment. (chemo and radiation) I really don't know what I would have done without the feeding tube in. It not only helped me with my nutritional needs but it also helped keep me hydrated and out of the hospital. There is no way I could have swallowed the water necessary to keep me hydrated, my mouth was just too sore. The feeding tube is easy to use, easy to hide underneath clothing, and it does not smell. (My biggest fear.) Of all the things that can happened because of a cancer diagnoses, the feeding tube is the easiest thing to endure--comparatively speaking, it really is a "walk in the park." My feeding tube was in place for well over a year with little problem, and it stayed with me until I felt confident that I was getting enough nourishment without the feeding tube.

SCC first time 1989, with a diagnoses of 'cancer in situ' removed lesion, no other treatments.
SCC recurrence 1997 of tongue and floor of the mouth. Stage III /IV Hemmiglossectomy (removed over 60% of tongue/ floor of the mouth), free flap, modified neck, RAD and Chemo(cisplatin, 5fu) simutainously.
Cancer free 6, yes, six, years!