Nicki,

Heather had plenty of nausea, but NOT from the radiation. I don't think Tom has to worry too much about that.

Since AzTarHeel mentioned it, I would like to add a side note on the constipation issue. Heather also had a lot of trouble, probably more than most because being bedridden for so long, she couldn't get even a modicum of exercise to help keep things moving.

Anyway, you have to discard the normal advice about laxatives being potentially harmful if taken for too long. Finally, after months of trouble, a pharmacist told me the key was to take Senekot-S DAILY. In Heather's case, TWICE DAILY. Don't be like me and think that after a few good days, you should give your body a rest and skip a day or two. The constipation comes back with a vengeance!

The Senekot-S or similar remedies MUST be taken EVERY day, WITHOUT FAIL! Of course, with a prescription med, one must follow the instructions. But as long as you are on a heavy duty pain med daily, you must also take an anti-constipation measure DAILY.

Rainbows & hugs, wink
Rosie

Was primary caregiver to my daughter Heather who had stage IV base of tongue SCC w/ primary recurrence. Original diagnosis August 21st, 2002. Primary recurrence March 18th, 2003. Died October 6th, 2003.