I am the CG to my wife who was diagnosed in Jan 05 with SCC left later tongue T2N1M0. This was followed with surgery and chemoradiation ending in July 05. She suffered terribly through the treatments and for about 9 months afterwords from side effects (lot of a mucus, nausa, vomiting). She was not able to eat for 8 months due to stricture of the esophagus and had to have 7 dilations of the esophagus.

She was just beginning to feel better and we had almost resumed our normal life until she begin to complain of pain in her tongue in the last 6 weeks.

She had a CT scan the first week of November and there was no sign of cancer. She saw her ENT about two weeks ago regarding the pain. He said the the tongue was irritated but no sign of cancer.

The pain got worse and she felt a bump under tongue at the original tumor sight this week. We saw her RO yesterday who felt the growrth under the tongue a said that it was hard tissue and he thinks it is a cause for concern.

He asked us to make an appointment with the ENT next week since the CCC is closed for the Thanksgiving holiday. We were scheduled to leave on December 1 on vacation but the RO said not wait and take care of his ASAP.

We are both devastated. We were very optimistic that the cancer would not recur since we were so close to our two year mark.
This has been the worst Thanksgiving of my life as I was depressed all day long. My wife told me that she is going to die if I do not snap out of it because she cannot handle me feeling that way. I just can't seam to find the strength after ou first battle with cancer. This is such a @#^%& disease.

I would like to hear from other forum members who have experienced a recurrence and what treatments were down and how they are doing now and I would appreciate any input or advice.

CG to wife;
Jan 2005 DX SCC Tongue T2N1MO; RND surgery Mar 2005; 35 XRT and 4 cisplatin completed Jul 2005.
Dec 2006 tongue surgery, Scar tissue no cancer.
Feb 2010 neck node FNA - negative.
2010 ORN right jaw plus fracture
2015 ORN left jaw plus fracture
Feb 2016 Lower jaw reconstruction by Fibula free flap+titanium plate - Permanent G-tube
June 2016 Difficulty breathing - Permanent Trachea tube
Dec 2019 DX Cervical cancer - Stage 1 - Surgery Jan 16 2020.
15-20 esophagus/larynx dilations