Cathy,

It helps us a lot when you post your particulars below your signature so we can answer your questions better.

The rad, which you didn't have, damages the sal glands so they don't produce adequate saliva thereby causing dry mouth. We are told generally that with IMRT we should recover our saliva function over time but it, of course, would depend on where we were radiated and how much damage was done. Having 1 or more glands removed would achieve the same result but I would think recovery would be impossible but I'm not a doctor. Why the delayed reaction? Haven't a clue, but IMO anything that delays the onset on dry mouth is a good thing. Talk to your surgeon. I'm sure you will get an answer. Whether it's one you can understand is another topic. Let us know what you are told..perhaps under your own post.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.