Wayne,

Again, thanks for the good advice. The part that I am still having a hard time with is the "don't ever say that it may beat you" part. My head knows that in my stage, it's really doesn't have much of a chance of beating me anyway. But when I am lying in bed at night, my mind goes about a thousand miles a minute. One of the thoughts always comes up "what if they were wrong, what if I am one of the 10% that gets false negative results from the PET scan, what if it has already spread?" After reading your message, I vow to try to stop this. It isn't healthy, and I know that.

In fact, I recently lost a dear friend to lung cancer. He was 55 years old. By the time his cancer was discovered, he was terminal. He had some treatment, but only to lengthen his life by a few months. There was never any doubt, he would not be cured. I visited him exactly one week before he died. He spent the final weeks of his life in a wonderful hospice home. On my last visit with him, just days before he passed away, he was still making plans for the future. He told me of the trip to the cabin that he planned for the following summer. He told me that for his 60th Birthday, 5years away, he was going fishing in Canada. At the time, I felt really sorry for him. I was thinking that his mind wasn't right, and it probably wasn't. But he was with it enough to know that his days were few. He he chose to dream and hope and plan. I think that's a pretty good example to follow too. If a guy that has just days left of his journey can dream about what he'll be doing in five years, so can any of us. RIP Bob, I miss the heck out of you!

Good night!

Amy

Dx 11/30/2006 Stage I SCC of gum/surgery 01/12/07 resection of the right posterior mandible with a right buccal transpositional flap 3 teeth removed/reconstruction to come in 9-12 months