Amy, I see that Wayne has had the exact same surgery as yours, but I am still willing to answer any questions that I can for you. I was pretty alone with my surgery, not knowing about this site and not knowing anyone else who had had such surgery, and I want you to have all the support that you can get.

My surgery was on the top. I lost five teeth, and the accompanying maxilla ( the upper jaw bone.) My four front natural teeth remain, as well as the rest of my teeth on the "good" side.

My surgery was different from yours in that the removal of the maxilla and oart if the adjacent hard palate left a communication between the mouth and the sinus cavity above it. Patients with this type of surgery must wear an obturator...like a retainer....like dentures....sort of.....It attatches to remaining teeth and has a 3-dimensional part that goes into the opening to seal it off so that the patient can speak and eat and drink. Without it, all of these functions are difficult or impossible.

One time I forgot that I had the appliance out of my mouth, and I answered the telephone. After mumbling some sort of greeting, I had to hang up, since I couldn't hold a conversation! I hurried to put my appliance in, and when the person called back, I answered, and they said, "The funniest thing just happened when I called your number......" I just played dumb!

anyway....your surgery will be different from mine. I dona' tknow if they will do some sort of reconstruction at the time of surgery or not. Maybe they will just put a plate or bar across ......You will want some help with your children for a couple of weeks. And yes, it is "only" three teeth and part of your bone, but it is an important loss to you, and you will feel that loss. You will grieve for it. Head and Neck surgery seems so personal, because your head...your face.....are how you present yourself to the world. It's hard to have a condition that affects how you look, and one that others can see at a glance. But you will come through that wondering, unhappy time, and you will realize that you are lucky......that you didn't lose a leg or an eye....or a hand.....and that your surgery will not keep you from doing the things that you love. You might even not have your face changed at all, but if there is a change, accept it as who you are and as your battle trophy and a sign that you have fought an enemy and won!

Ask any question that you wish.

Colleen--T-2N0M0 SCC dx'd 12/28/05...Hemi-maxillectomy, partial palatectomy, neck dissection 1/4/06....clear margins, neg. nodes....no radiation, no chemo....Cancer-free at 4 years!