Hi...this is Lisa; I am one of Scott's sisters. He has told me a lot about this site, and I have just now gotten a few moments in my schedule to get here and read what has been going on. I am very thankful that my brother has had the time and resources to do this research. Since my other sister and her son have been sick for the last few weeks, I have been the one going to the marathon doctor's appointment with my parents. Between the research, information given by the doctor's, and questions asked, as Scott has mentioned, we feel that my parents have made the best possible decisions in the time they have had. Scott and I have actually been through a unique time ourselves, being that he donated his kidney to me in May of 2005. Although I understand that kidney failure/dialysis and cancer are not the same issue, there is a comradary in understanding what it's like to go through a long-term illness with a lot of medical decisions to make. I'm glad I was able to be there with my parents while conferring with the doctor's--for me, that is my piece of mind; knowing that the doctor's we are dealing with are competant, are willing to listen to us and work with us, value our opinions and questions, and treat my father with respect. From the research that Scott has done, we are confident that dad is receiving the latest technology in treatment, which also gives us peace of mind. I am so thankful for my family; we have gotten through tough medical times before as a strong family unit, and I know this will be just another victorious outcome! Thank you to all of you for your advice and knowledge from your experiences. I know for me, when I can help someone because of the difficulties I've been through, it somehow gives a reason for all I went through.
Dad goes into the hospital in 2 days, and the journey begins. I am concerned how my parents will deal with their emotions the first night she has to leave him at the hospital, but some stuggles you do have to face alone, as I well know. I'll be on here from time to time as well with questions, if that's alright. Scott was right...this is an awesome site! Thank you all for your advise.