Just to say that we visited the consultant again today and he doesn't think that the lump on the other side of the neck is anything to worry about. He said that tumours can occasionally appear on the other side of the original site, but he doesn't think that's the case here. It's actually smaller than last week, so he is not unduly concerned about it.
My sister then asked about getting her remaining (very wobbly) teeth extracted. The doc explained that they are not very keen to do this due to the high likelihood of infection and slow rate of healing, but as hers are in such a bad state, they will extract the worst two or three next week and then, all going well, another couple in a fortnight's time. We know that there is a very long waiting list for a hospital dental appointment, so we're very grateful that the consultant is getting Lesley seen almost immediately.
Another piece of good news is that the steroids that Les started again last week are helping a lot and she feels she has more energy - and even a bit of an appetite again! So it's back to the potato and gravy - though she still can't manage to swallow chicken or meat. I suggested mashed- up carrots and turnip, just to get some vitamins etc. We did ask about anti-depressants, but the doc thought we should wait to see if the steroids improved matters before prescribing them. My sister was really good today after the hospital visit and more like her old self, so it was the right thing not to prescribe them for the time being. What a difference a week makes - and some magical steroids.......
So this thing is like a rollercoaster - down one minute, then up the next. You just have to hang on and go with it.
Thank you, Marica, for your note. It's nice to hear from a fellow Scot!
With best wishes,
Shelagh