Even if you are half way thru rads when you get your tube its ok. Radiation treatments get progressively more difficult as time goes on. The worst days are the first 2-3 weeks after rads ends. Many patients think when rads end they will get better quickly. Unfortunately this is not the case at all. Rads continue to work even after the treatments stop. Im glad you are doing better with swallowing now that your meds have started working for the thrush. If you cant get the regular PEG tube, there is a nasal tube that could work out as a decent option for you. The nasal tube is more of a temporary solution that can be inserted right in the doctors office.

If your throat gets sore you can always ask your doc for a prescription to get magic mouthwash. This is a combo of 3 meds. Mine was made of lidocaine, malox and benedryl. There are other combos but they all should be swished around in the mouth for up to a minute then spit out. The numbing is temporary and usually its enough time for the patient to be able to eat without being in so much pain.

Hang in there! Every day you complete your radiation treatment means you are one day closer to becoming cancer free.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma