Please always remember everyone is different and will respond to things in their own unique ways. That said, the following is based on what I remember from 10 years ago when I first got sick and went thru rads w/ chemo....

The after effects of chemo do not usually appear for several days. Next time you see your MO (medical oncologist AKA chemo doc) ask them to clarify how to predict when the effects will hit from your dose of chemo. My doc had a calendar she would count the days and know exactly when the worst of the chemo would happen. Im going to guess about a week, maybe 10 days until it kicks in. Push those fluids and flush out the poison the faster the better. Taking in 64 oz of water a day for the next few days will definitely help lessen how hard the chemo hits you. If you have not already gotten prescription nausea meds talk to your doc so you are prepared. When you hit that certain day and are beginning to feel your stomach is doing backflips take that medicine and keep taking it around the clock for at least a few more days. Once you get behind on the nausea meds and nausea sets in its next to impossible to overcome the nausea enough to keep down medication. It may not be a bad idea to ask for small doses (like 5 days worth) of 2 different anti-nausea medication so you can switch off and on to always have medicine in your system to help with the nausea. If necessary, there is such a thing as a suppository nausea medication if you cant control your nausea.

Tomorrow will be a long day! Take a friend along to chat with, magazines, snacks, crossword puzzles, a book or kindle, maybe a ipad or tablet that has interesting things/games/etc on it to occupy your mind. Hang in there, every day of treatment is one day closer to becoming cancer free. smile

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma