Hello MrsW. This is indeed a scary journey. I too am an RN. My Husband Kris, didn't want to know anything much about his cancer or treatment. He only wanted to get the treatment done and he would cope with any side effects. I tried my best to prepare him by giving out small pieces of information that I knew he could deal with. Kris was for the most part, content to let me take over. He knew that I could and would, deal with all the medical information and that I would advocate strongly for him. That was enough for him. I told him that what happened to him, happened to me. If you know what I mean. We most definitely were in this together.
I am so sorry that you have need of this site, however , this is the best place to come to for accurate information and solid, helpful, support.
Please know that this is a very treatable cancer with good overall survivor rates.
Kris was diagnosed 6 years ago this week. Yes, we had a further blip in the road, nearly 5 years ago, but, Kris is alive and well and life so good. Yours will be too.
Take this one day at a time. You will both get through this.
Tammy

Caregiver/advocate to Husband Kris age 59@ diagnosis
DX Dec '10 SCC BOT T4aN2bM0 HPV+ve.Cisplatin x3 35 IMRT.
PET 6/11 clear.
R) level 2-4 neck dissection 8/1/11 to remove residual node - necrotic with NED
Feb '12 Ca back.. 3/8/12 total glossectomy/laryngectomy/bilat neck dissection/partial pharyngectomy etc. clear margins. All nodes negative for disease. PEG in.
March 2017 - 5 years disease free. Woohoo!