So it's now about 3 weeks out from surgery, and I kind of feel only small improvement from 2 weeks out. Less "gunk" but still tons of saliva, I guess maybe because I'm not swallowing it I"m having to spit/suction. Still trying to sort out this feeding schedule, every three hours isn't fun when it gets to the midnight and 3 am feeding. What I do (or try to do) is one feeding when I wake up about 2 or so, then do an can and a half at 6 and noon. Seems I'm getting some stomach acid feedback if I do too much in the G tube at once, so having to watch that. Weight has been maintaining, so that's good at least.

Steri-strips have all fallen off, so some progress there. Every once in a while I get a little blood from one point of the incision or other, sort of like surface blood clots coming off, nothing big deal.

Tongue, I guess swelling is going down, I can swallow, I'm just not making any attempts at swallowing anything until cleared to do so by the doc, I'd prefer a healthcare professional were within reach in case I run something down the wrong pipe. I do have to say one part of my tongue (original tongue) is bumping more against a molar than I would like right at a stitch line with the reconstructed tongue, I'm not too keen on that.

Speech is a mess., but people seem to be able to understand me, even on the phone. I did have an issue with UPS, trying to track a package and them not understanding the AWB... even tried a text to speech program on the iPad... Finally got a live person to talk to and they could understand enough to get it done.

Problem, I can't pronounce my family name.... but then again I couldn't pronounce it very well before 9AM and 2 cups of coffee before the surgery...

Getting out for walks, every day a little bit better. This cold snap we've had tending to keep me inside more than I'd like.

One thing I did notice is now when i'm riding in a car it seems too "overwhelming" for lack of a better term, visually things going by too fast. Also seem I don't have the same level of concentration I had previous. I'm chalking that up to side effects from an 11 hour surgery and not really getting a broad range of nutrients from the Nestle feeding formula. Bobby needs pizza and cheeseburgers.

And so it goes...

SCC Tongue, stage IV diagnosed Sept, 2002, 1st radical neck dissection left side in Sept, followed by RAD/Chemo. Discovered spread to right side nodes March 2003, second radical neck dissection April, followed by more RAD/Chemo.