Ok, time for an update. Did the PET/CT last week, results were good as far as there was no spread, cancer localized to the surface of the tongue according to the scan.

Did the MRI today, just the head, so the surgeons can see how much and where they need to operate. Going to see the Head and Neck guy at UCLA next week, hopefully can get on a track to get this done before Christmas.

My ENT up here in Santa Barbara says for sure they will be doing free flap reconstruction, been reading up on that, I get the concept, had that on the first go around, except it didn't take. Not exactly sure they did all that good a job on it to tell the truth.

Trying to stay positive but wondering what the recovery time is with the free flap, what's involved, etc. I suspect techniques and such have changed in the last 12 years, as well as just differences in treatment from country to country.

Taking this one day at a time, trying to gain weight but finding that almost impossible, doing protein shakes, as big a meal as I can get down, which sometimes isn't that much.

Geez, let's get this done already.

SCC Tongue, stage IV diagnosed Sept, 2002, 1st radical neck dissection left side in Sept, followed by RAD/Chemo. Discovered spread to right side nodes March 2003, second radical neck dissection April, followed by more RAD/Chemo.