Calhoun, I went through the very same thought process. I had not yet started my first treatments when I read (courtesy of Google) that 70% of patients who did not quit drinking when they were diagnosed, had recurrences.

Like you, having just heard a litany of horror stories concerning the treatments I was about to undergo, I finished the drink I was working on (2 oz of 9 year-old Knob Creek over 4 ice cubes;) rinsed my glass and had 2 oz of Black Seal dark run, and quit drinking.

Then, just over a year later, I had my first (of 5) recurrence which was a distant metastasis in my liver.

Well shoot, now that I did have a recurrence, I asked my MO if it made any difference whether I resumed drinking or not. He laughed and confirmed that the horse was out of the stables and there was nothing to be gained by resuming moderate drinking.

I am currently finishing a cup of coffee, sweetened by an Oz of Knob Creek 9 year-old.

Trust me, it is with nothing but brotherly love and compassion that I say that I hope you never have the same opportunity to have another drink. But if you do, enjoy it to the fullest!

Bart

My intro: http://oralcancersupport.org/forums/ubbt...3644#Post163644

09/09 - Dx OC Stg IV
10/09 - Chemo/3 Cisplatin, 40 rad
11/09 - PET CLEAN
07/11 - Dx Stage IV C. (Liver)
06/12 - PET CLEAN
09/12 - PET Dist Met (Liver)
04/13 - PET CLEAN
06/13 - PET Dist Met (Liver + 1 lymph node)
10/13 - PET - Xeloda ineffective
11/13 - Liver packed w/ SIRI-Spheres
02/14 - PET - Siri-Spheres effective, 4cm tumor in lymph-node
03/15 - Begin 15 Rads
03/24 - Final Rad! Woot!
7/27/14 Bart passed away. RIP!