Bring something to write on or speak with... Ipad with a speech program? Pen and paper? Something - I'm not certain but depending on how involved the surgery is - they may trache you - if they do it will be 2-3 days without speech - they have two types of traches... Mine was strictly for breathing and allowed no talking I think that is to prevent you from damaging your tongue and any graft sites. Then two days after surgery they switched to one that allowed me to talk and breathe through it - then day three they removed it - the trache was the one thing I hated! Are they grafting you? Actually how large is the tumor? And have they stages it? This is important to know... That and the differentiation, it will help give you some idea if your are going to be facing radiation and chemo afterwards and how aggressive they should be with treating you.
I was the same way - the minute I found out about it I wanted it OUT... Hugs and good luck tomorrow smile

Last edited by Cheryld; 03-24-2014 07:06 AM.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan