While the new Affordable Care Act will help (Obamacare) you can sign up this year if you live in a state where the state government is participating, (some stupid governors are opting out of much of the provisions of it) and it will cover pre existing conditions; the insurance does not take effect until January 2014. There is also Medicaid in most states and I would be working to see if you quality for that. The issue in some of these options may be that (I am assuming) he is not a US citizen. Last, remember that like all insurances, they cover a particular geographic area. My Blue Cross of California would not cover me when I went to MDACC in Texas. Outside my service area. This is the scam that insurance companies use to keep people from traveling all over the US to the best (and usually the most expensive) treatment centers. For sure MDACC takes Blue Cross, but i was quickly told by Blue Cross that BC of Texas is a different company that BC of California. So if you get insurance in Georgia, be prepared for this little surprise.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.