I would love to know the answers to these questions. Being 25, I have a long time to potentially get reinfected with HPV and develop another cancer or develop a second primary (if that is possible). The fact that I developed cancer so quickly and at a young age worries me. Its possible my immune system is unable to clear HPV or I have some other genetic predisposition. My mom never was HPV+, so my docs don't think I was born with an infection.

I did a lot of reading on some threads about taking the HPV vaccine post treatment. It seemed some said it could help while others said that it will not help once you have been infected. I do wonder if it would make sense to get vaccinated, if only to prevent an infection of HPV18 (vs HPV16 which my cancer was positive for). Does anyone know if an infection of HPV16 imparts antibodies and immunity from an HPV18 infection? I would assume since they are distinct it would not, but I could be wrong.

Has anyone heard of someone in their 20s getting HPV+ cancer? My RO said she hasn't seen or heard of anyone as young as me, which is unsettling.

Last edited by AndrewL; 06-05-2013 03:09 PM.

Andrew
age 25

early 10/12 - enlarged lymph node area
01/13 SCC of L tonsil, L BOT, 2 L lymph nodes
stage IVa, T2N2bM0, HPV+

2/13 2 doses cisplatin big bag, 2 doses weekly cisplatin + 35x IMRT
4/13 TX finished
7/13 PET/CT - NED!