Hi all,

I thought I would pass on a treatment I just started to improve the mobility, and decrease tightness in my neck. It is a combined treatment with 2 different types of lasers, and the general gist is that the laser makes tiny holes in the scar tissue to allow new healthy collagen to form (like aerating your lawn).

As it was explained to me, a scar forms because it is the body's immediate reaction to trauma, and the first instinct is to close the wound immediately. As such, the collagen forms thick bundles. This has the result of pulling skin tighter, which accounts for the tightness in the incision and surrounding areas.

In my case (not sure everyone else has this), I feel like I am wearing a choke collar all the time, which in turn limits my mobility. In addition, it pulls my other skin, so that the left side of my mouth and chin are pulled down. It's noticible when I smile, and it looks a bit like I have had a stroke. I also note that in my stretching excercises, I can feel the pull on the "new" tongue, as all is connected to the floor of the mouth.

The laser is called Ultra Pulse (SCAARS - Synergistic Coagulation and Ablation for Advanced Resurfacing - yep, it's a mouthful). It takes numerous treatments, and can be done in 3-6 month intervals.

The side benefit, is that it is also supposed to reduce the appearance of the scarring. Nice, but not my main focus.

This does not replace PT, it's an adjunct.

I have only had my first treatment, but I will let you all know the results as it goes along.

Tina
Diag: Aug. 13/12
T3N0M0
50% + glossectomy and bilateral radical neck dissection, removal of nodes zones I - V
Surgery October 11/12
Chemo/rad on hold due to clear margins and nodes
Sept 21/13 clear CT with anomaly thought to be the artery, being watched closely.
Dec 16/13 - anomaly confirmed artery, all clear
nickname: "get 'r done"
Plans: kick cancer's butt