[quote=davidcpa]I disagree w/ Lady re "it doesn't matter where you get the TX". IMO it matters a lot. Knowing WHAT the Tx will be and knowing HOW to administer it are as different as knowing what to do to fix your car and knowing how to do it. Designing the correct radiation plan and making sure it is followed can make a huge difference in life altering side effects. Moffitt gave me the option of being treated in St Pete, way closer to my home, but after talking to Moffitt's Dr Trotti, a leader in IMRT technology, I decided to make the 90 round trip miles every day for 7 weeks and I'm glad I did. Remember this is ONLY 7 weeks out of your entire life. Why take a chance with your body and the rest of your life? Go with the best and minimize your risk. [/quote]

But David,

Your same Dr. Trotti who knew our local MO and RO gave his blessings and suggested that we would be fine treated locally. He was familiar with both docs and their facility and equipment. Driving for us would have been a 200 mile roundtrip and Bill was receiving rads twice a day so we would have opted to stay at the Hope Lodge at Moffitt had we had treatment there. Fortunately we had an easier option.

Everyone has a little different situation and yes, you must research to make sure the facility you are choosing applies best practices but sometimes there are good options locally.

JMTC,

Deb

Deb..caregiver to husband, age 63 at diagnosis, former smoker who quit in 1997.
DIAGNOSIS: 6/26/07 SCC right tonsil/BOT T4N0M0
TREATMENT START: 8/9/07 cisplatin/taxol X 7..IMRT twice daily X 31.5.
TREATMENT END: 10/1/07
PEG OUT: 1/08
PORT OUT: 4/09
FOLLOWUP: Now only annual exams. ALL CLEAR!

Passed away 1/7/17 RIP Bill