I had a couple transfusions while I was in for the mandibulectomy also. That is not so unusual so dont be upset by her having this done. This surgery is a not an easy one at all. Having a big section of your body removed and then another area transferred over to that spot is very invasive. This is why I mentioned that there is no way she could only be in the hospital for a couple days. There are too many variables and things that need to be closely monitored. This is too new, her body needs time to heal.

Think positive!

** added after saw the 3rd update.... I know you are upset but it does sound like she is having fairly a normal reaction to such an invasive procedure.

The question of when to go to be with her is something we wouldnt be able to give you advice about. We are fellow patients and caregivers who do not have medical backgrounds. We do not have her entire medical chart in front of us or many years of medical training and experience to help make decisions.

As I advised previously, someone should be with the patient at all times when anyone is going thru a major surgery. This applies to any type of operation. But it is especially important when a patient may not be able to advocate for themselves. In my opinion part of the issue here is the family's lack of attention to the seriousness of her illness. A mandibulectomy is not a walk in the park surgery. Its very complex and has a high risk for complications. Im very sorry to hear she is not doing well. I knew a hospital stay of only a couple days would not be enough for this type of procedure.

Being so far away you will have to trust her medical professionals to do the best they can for her. If at all possible someone needs to go to her so they can speak for her and watch over her. It needs to be someone who is attentive and will speak up, someone who will stay by her side. What you have described really does sound pretty common with having a mandibulectomy. I was in a medically induced coma for 3 weeks but I had complications with the transferred skin so my case was much different. I wouldnt be surprised to see a patient spending 5 days in ICU before being moved to the regular section of a hospital.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma