After my mother-in-law's cancer of the tongue and surgery in 2010, no chemo and no radiation. The right side and base of her tongue was removed. The actual "skin" of the tongue was not removed, the cancer was scraped from the inside, meaning her tongue is now hallow.

Another form of oral cancer was diagnosed this August/September: cancer of the right cheek muscles and cancer of the lower mandible jaw. 10/10 she is scheduled for the removal of the cancer on her check muscles and also removal/reconstruction of her lower mandible. The size of the tumor is her jaw bone is 2cm, it can be larger they said. They will implant titanium to replace her jaw bone. There could be a possibility that they will remove part of her underarm skin/flesh to serve as a flap.

A month after her surgery she is scheduled for 33 radiation sessions followed by chemo therapy. Kindly include her in your thoughts and prayers. She is very weak that is why she is going to be confined a day and 1/2 earlier than her surgery.

Last edited by Ina; 10-06-2012 07:23 PM.

Joyce March 1940 to January 2014
A wife, a mother, grandmother and great grandmother.
She fought oral cancer from late 2009 to Early 2014.
2 Timothy 4:7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.