JT

As Christine pointed out, the OP decided to get a PEG back in February, so I'm going to just stroll down memory lane with you. A foot of tube inside sounds like you have a combo G/J tube or a J tube instead of a plain old PEG? either way, G tube, or J tube or G/J tube, the low profile versions are definitely the way to go. Personally, I prefer the AMT over the Mic-key since the AMT are better designed and have shaped the balloon more like an apple so there is less leakage and granulation tissue.
I was equally determined the first time around not to get a feeding tube. My RO and MO had the weight concerns but we could not agree on what the minimum weight was.( I was stubborn that my marathon fastest time weight of 126 lbs was fine but they kept using my 177 lbs at DX as the baseline so they drew the line at 140 after first trying for 157) I just said "we will see" and never shook on it. I created a firestorm here on OCF when I first joined by bragging about how I put lead weights into a vest and wore heavy combat boots both of which added about 14 pounds onto my weight.
But I never had dehydration and was eating and drinking after TX faster than anyone. I was the most contentious of the PEG war combatants until posters stopped patronizing and ridiculing the decision not to get one. I went overboard however in my defense and ended up as bad as the Pegophiles.
Today the discussion is fair and evenhanded. Oncology Management principles and most textbooks acknowledge that the doctors still are deeply divided on prophylactic PEG placement.
You really made me laugh (and I need smiles right now) with your post - especially the part about "jinxing". I'm right with you now, it's been three and half years of total feeding tube and it's never getting better. Sorry to hear about your placement issues. With the button or low profile, I now have my wife change my tube and that works a lot better than the doctors ever did. It's sad that you were not told of this option earlier. We've had lots of discussions here on the low profile tubes. I'm a firm believer in them for us tubies.
Keep the faith
Charm

Last edited by Charm2017; 08-26-2012 08:40 AM. Reason: tube type typos

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13