I did 6 weeks of radiation and chemo. I did not have a feeding tube put in. My doctors said if I lost 10% of my body weight, they would put one in. That would have been about 12.5 pounds. I lost 9 pounds. I was determined to keep my weight up. I drank Ensure, Carnation Instant Breakfast (which I still drink for breakfast),protein drinks etc. My husband made many trips to the grocery store trying to find things I would eat. He made lots of shakes and malts, adding fruit to them for nutrition. He would make meals for me and I would sit at the table trying to eat at least some of it. Sometimes it would take me awhile to get it down, but I did. I am glad I didn't have to have the feeding tube - just one more thing to deal with. I did everything the doctors told me to - using salt & soda rinses, head & neck exercises, another rinse for sores and dry mouth etc. Some of my taste came back about 6 weeks after radiation. I'm now two years out and can taste most things although some of it doesn't have as strong of flavor as before. Hang in there, it gets better.

SCC on right tongue T2N1M0 Non-smoker, non-drinker age 55 female. Partial glossectomy April 2009,July 2009, Jan. 2011, lymph nodes removed, radiation & chemo 2009