This topic has been discussed many times and sometimes even hotly debated. Very simply put, the peg tube is a tool. It will make things much easier when it gets rough to swallow. Of course everyone is different, some sail right thru and others struggle.

There are all kinds of pros and cons to go along with the choice of getting the feeding tube. I have always thought it is so much better to have it and not need it than to need it and have to wait to get one. When a person is dehydrated and malnourished they feel horrible. I really thought I was going to die I felt so bad. If this happens to you and you need an emergency peg tube, it could be a couple days before you get one. Why put yourself thru this suffering? Not one person who got one really wanted to have it (maybe except for Richard).

If you choose to go without one and need one later you may be able to get away with the nasal tube. That is a more temporary solution. It seems to be most the guys who try to go it without the tube but then end up in trouble and end up getting one anyway. It honestly isnt that big a deal. It just makes it a little easier to handle keeping up with your nutrition and hydration.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma