Hey there... two days should be fine! and take your mind off everything else for a bit. The vacation is great. I did the same thing. After dx and before surgery, my husband and I flew to florida a week before just for a few days - we'd traveled over christmas and it was okay but a bit abismal as we were waiting for a surgery day etc... but the trip to florida relaxed me and prepped me for the up coming surgery. Then after surgery we went away with the family as I recovered. People thought I was nuts but I figured, being home I would feel like I would have to clean and cook, away I would have someone else do that for me. (plus statistics support the theory that relaxation helps heal, mentally and physically and does affect the outcome of treatment.) So enjoy your trip and time with hubby.

Manuka you can find at any health food store - whole foods carries it. I used the 16+ they suggest buying organic, and pure manuka with an UMF of 12+ or above. It is natures hydrogen peroxide, it is antibacterial, antibiotic, and has good results in wound healing (sloan kettering did a study and found it was better that some of their wound healing techniques - though the H&N ca study was inconclusive) They are still running a study in BC or were last year on mouth sores etc. Do check with your drs. before using it but I imagine it should be okay, mine said go ahead.

I swear it not only helped hold off the really bad mouth sores - I had some blisters but they never opened up, until the very end of treatment, and I thought I was coming down with thrush just after treatment finished and my dr. said use your magic mouthwash it has nystatin in it ( I had been but it didn't help!) I had stopped the manuka the last few days of treatment when things got bad, so I sucked it up and started using it again (it stings for a bit before it soothes) and sure enough the beginning stages of thrush went away in a day or two. It also doesn't cause cavities because it is antibacterial. this was mentioned in the study... and someone explained it here when another member asked.

Anyway have a great time away - you more than deserve it. hugs.

Last edited by Cheryld; 08-22-2012 10:43 PM.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan