Currently we are seeing 2 delivery methods when using Ciplatin. The first I call the Big Bag Method the patient receives their first bag the first day of rad (before rad); the 2nd appx 15 rads or days later and the 3rd on the last day of rad (before rad). Many don't get the 3rd because they are to sick and/or their cancer is responding as hoped for. Some have Carboplatin substitued for the 3rd. This method has been used the longest and is considered the standard. The second method delivers the same quantity of chemo but in 6 smaller weekly doses and most that have had Cisplatin delivered this way have not complained about the typical side effects as those of us that got the Big Bag method. To my knownledge there has never been a study judging the effectiveness of method number 2 vs method number 1 nor has there been a study comparing the effectiveness of Carboplatin vs Cisplatin.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.