I am a 58 yo male and was diagnosed with stage 4 squamous cell carcinoma back in March 2012. Had CT and MRI to determine the spread and had a 10 hour surgery on April 27. Most of my tongue was removed and a flap was reconstructed from a section of skin taken from my left thigh. For the most part I live a very healthy life. Work out at the gym everyday. don't smoke or drink. My father did have esophageal cancer but survived for 15 years after radiation.

At this point, I am awaiting the recovery from the surgery before the radiation and chemo begin. It will last 33 days for the radiation and only 2 chemo sessions, one at the beginning of the radiation period, and the other at the end. I will have to stay overnight at the hospital for the chemo treatments.

I recovered pretty fast after the surgery and was discharged from the hospital in less than 2 weeks, almost a week earlier than the original estimate. One surprising thing is that I can still speak, not as clearly as before cancer but everyone said that they can understand me pretty well. The doctors were pretty surprised. The radiation oncologist actually said he was "dumbfounded" that I was able to have a conversation with him.

The surgeons remove 90% of my tongue, and all the lymph node from the neck, jaw, etc. a total of 55. The pathology report came back pretty positive, that there was no cancer found in any of the 55 lymph nodes. That is why I don't need full chemo, just 2 sessions to be on the safe side.

I do have a very strong support network, from my church, family and friends. My church has been rallying around my case to have special prayer group meetings after the service for several weeks. The brothers and sisters provide overwhelming support of visits, email, some even offer to help with housework. I exchange email daily with my brothers and sisters back home and that is also a source of strength. My family has been by my side all this time. Last but not least, I have a strong faith and through prayers I found the most strength. I think all of this accounts for my speedy recovery after surgery. I am not out of the woodwork yet but based on what I have seen, I have a strong feeling that I will do really well.

Joseph 59 male
pain in tongue strt 2/10/12, Dx SCC 3/19/12, confirmed Stg IV 4/5/12,
Total Glsctmy & recon w/ flap from L thigh, neck disct, trach 4/27/12
G-Tube 5/1/12
55 nodes all clear
completed 2 chemo 33 rad
non-smoker, non-drinker, exercise daily, mostly vegetarian diet...go figure