Hi there.. They will give you a room (I had one on the 18th floor it was private and had a great view - they'll run an IV of fluids and an anti emetic and then the chemo. Then they run fluids all night - smile I think a lot of chemos are hard on the kidneys... This one in particular has a reputation that's why they keep you in - its protocol. Plus chemos of course can cause severe nausea and vomiting - so the forced hydration lessens the possibiliilty of you going home throwing up a lot and ending up in the hospital longer because of dehydration.

Not many hospitals have this protocol.

Next day they'll squeeze your rads in before kicking you out with a fist full of prescriptions. wink

After your treatment dr Irish and bayley will tag team you... You'll do a check up with bayley - go home to recover - then at three month intervals you'll see Irish and bayley... Once your on the mend. And at the three month mark post treatment you'll have a ct. unless of course you have a problem and need to be monitored more closely.

They'll give you pamphlets read them and do what's in them.. Have they set up your appointment for a peg yet?

I had one but didn't use it. I just drank my nutrition for about 4 weeks (the worst weeks)... What they don't tell you is radiation is cumulative - the two weeks after treatment are the worst!!! Gene Simmons and I know each other well as they had a marathon on during my recovery and between that and some forensic shows I lived in a reality show haze between naps.. Though I did walk my dog... wink

It's not an easy treatment and by the standard norm I was Blessed as for me as horrible as it was - I wasn't that bad! If you are diabetic - diet is very important as is hydration. They dietician kind of let me do my own thing as long as I didn't lose too much weight - (I'm a veg head so my protein came from a scoop or two of vegan protein powder - which is actualy a good option for you as it utilizes stevia (no glycemic impact) not the standard sugar found in most powders - I would add a scoop to my boost or ensure (they have a diabetic brand) and hit my required protein intake plus a little more daily)

Good luck with all your appointments - push to start it quickly - I know that sounds unwise but I was out of surgery and into rads at the 5 - 6 week mark. wink and ask about the ct results when you see your rads dr. My faith was a tad shaken when he said "if there was something to note then I would have" the look on my face told him I didn't buy it (sorry I expect that when you come not see me you know exactly what's up... Spend a minute and read the damn report) after some cuffuffle where he sent a student to read it came back and freaked me out - about a chest ct which I later found out was normal - he went on to tell me that my head ct was just a baseline scan to determine where to place the radiation.

That evening I called my nurse (still upset about the chest ct) and she said he wanted to see me the next day - at this appointment (I thought he was going to reassure me about the chest ct) - he proceeded to tell me I had a 3 mm node highlight on the other side of my neck and he was rewriting my treatment to include that side - just in case. It could very well have been an infection, or inflammation as I'd come back from Mexico 3 days prior to the ct.. But I was okay with the extra treatment. My concern in all this is that had I not asked he might not have changed my treatment and on the off chance it was cancer I could very well have been facing a recurrence.

Re the chest ct I talked to my family dr. And he actually read me the report saying it was identical to my first one and everything was clear... This was 8 mos after the incident!

Anyway, my point in all this is. It's a fantastic hospital with amazing drs - but you still need to advocate for yourself. Take care... And good luck...

Last edited by Cheryld; 05-20-2012 08:33 AM.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan