Can I be honest with you? If his energy is poor, calcium rising and his consciousness poor, just be with him. Does he have a DNR? he may not have too long, once his electrolytes get out of whack. It's a downward spiral from there. I was in charge of my stepfather's care and they were pushing me to take him off the respirator (he had cancer that may have come back but he was in because of severe pneumonia, that ended up over taxing his only kidney and he ended up with an infection etc..) I refused to remove the respirator as I just couldn't fathom him slowly suffocating, I just couldnt do it. I figured his body would give up when it was ready and it did within a few days. I made it clear to them that i wouldn't permit them to pull the plug, but at the same time I wanted no extraordinary measures taken - your father in law's body will give up and he may become almost unconscious, like he's sleeping. His breath will slow and that'll be it. Hopefully it will be peaceful. It's a horrible thing and heartbreaking but he will be at peace. Too many times we push, so that we can have more time with a loved one but in some way thats inhumane, especiakly if heir last few days are painfilled. Hugs and god bless! I'm sorry you're going though this!

Last edited by Cheryld; 10-08-2011 08:42 PM.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan