Colleen

Great news!!! I just had CO2 Laser Glossectomy to the Left Vental (underside) of my Tongue only 6 days ago. I was in the hospital overnight and had little to no pain. I am only having pain now cause I cant tolerate the Tylenol 3's that I was prescribed and stopped taking them. Needless to say 24-36 hours later, I am taking them again!!! Just need to take some gravol with them and see how it goes laugh

Like yourself I am a bit of a glass half empty girl. I suffer from anxiety and stress which is the primary cause of Lichen Planus, or as you are learning Moderate Dysplasia. (dys: meaning difficult Plasia: meaning cells) So these were cells that are not normal but not cancerous, just different. Only 15% of people with Lychen Planus go on to develop Ca. I was one of them. Am I angry? Resentful, Pissed off?? Hell yes, it makes me human. Yip going through all the stages of grieving and wondering....

The surgery was very superficial. Healing can be a little slower than scapel removal but less chance of complications and re-occurance. Talk as much as you can, it helps to rebuild your muscle tone. Remember the tongue is a muscle so exercise it. I am having a hard time with this because I live alone. So I am learning to read outloud everything I type!! My cat thinks I am nuts!! Hahaha

I had a CT of the head done before hand to rule out invasion to my lymph nodes. Ya nothing! So don't be suprised if your ENT suggests one as well, or as I have learned on this forum after the surgery, all depends I guess. And of course lots of good ol' blood work. The CT was very quick and the contrast dye they give you makes you feel like you peed your pants, I checked and laughed with the technicians when I got up from the table and I asked the girls 'Bet everyone does that!!" laugh

It may be in your best interest to talk to your ENT or family doctor about anti-anxiety medication and ongoing counselling. Here in Canada we are fortunate to have Medical coverage, and once diagnosed with Cancer the resources are plentiful in Urban Centres anyhow.

As a patient, whether in the US, UK or Canada we still need to take responsibility for ourselves, in accessing what is available, advocating for ourselves and learn to ask for help and then ACCEPTING help from our family and friends. Our friends want to help. They dont need to feel guilty for not knowing and not being there for us at our time of need. I am learning this the hard way. I was alone with all this and only after surgery am I now telling people. I live alone, be blessed that you have family to support you!!!

Nutrition is key, as Cheryld will tell you. (love you Cheryl!) smile So get cracking and bulk up now!! Protein is key!!!

And as the old saying goes...."When we know better, we do better" this goes for education and action!! Feed yourself with a wealth of food, love from family and friends and you WILL find the strength and motivation to quit smoking and avoid the alcohol. You would be blown away at the kindness of srangers, and sometimes talking to a stranger seems easier. I am a big advocate on Education. Its what I do. I am a teaching nurse (or was, and will be again)

Yes you will need time off from work, simple fact of life. Family will have to adjust and work extra hours etc to help out. Small price to pay to have Mum build up her strength and get healthy isnt it??!!

Take one day at a time. I am a reaslistic and very pragmatic person and yes reading some of the stories here on this Forum can cause anxiety and fear to ease out of every pore. I am a nurse so I know the worse case scenarios and all the inbetween and I was still shaken and put off from some of the stories here. I have learned to be selective in what I read. I am not a T4 so I wont read a topic about T4.

Any questions please ask....I may not have the answers but I may be able to help you formulate the right questions to ask your doctors and caregivers.

<3 Hugs
Tracy

O

Tracy Dx @ age 47
Single No dependants
NS/Social ETOH
Clinical Study (early detection)
Dx July/09 Mod. Dysplasia (lichen planus)
Dx Sept/11 TisN0M0 SSC Lt Tongue
Sx Oct/11 CO2 Laser Glossectomy
Sx Mar/12 Release of tongue anchoring (Skin graft)
Lingual Nerve Damage