Thanks Everyone!!

Nice to have someone to talk to about this as I am very much alone on this journey. I have told a couple of friends who were aware back in Vancouver, but nobody else. How does one talk about THAT?

So far what I have learned is its SCC and early stage. (not yet even stage 1 I gather?). Read it on my CT requisition. They have postponed my sx as they feel I am not prepared for sx as I am asking questions (bullshit, I am nurse I will ask all the questions I want!)

I am part of a clinical study that will use blue light to determine tumour margins during the sx. Which is related to the clinical study that I was was part of in Vancouver. Yes, thank god cause I had total confidence in that team, and the head of this team is a Dr. whos reputation is exceptional. (Sometimes being a nurse is a good thing). So I meet with the research team on Monday and then meet with the Head and Neck team (which is normal protocol) at the Tom Baker Cancer Centre on Oct 4 before surgery. They just had a opening this coming Wed and because my Ca is superficial thought to slot me in without seeing the team first.

At this time they are saying no radiation or chemo is required but that is before reviewing my CT and having the surgery. They say I will be in the hospital overnight only.

If I recall he said something about expecting removing 2-3cm diameter and as much as 5cm?? Does that sound right? I dunno my brain was all fuzz.

FYI how much does this surgery impede...intimacy. I am not married but still desire to date and find my first love. Would my tongue feel different to a partner?

Tracy 46
tracyinkits

Tracy Dx @ age 47
Single No dependants
NS/Social ETOH
Clinical Study (early detection)
Dx July/09 Mod. Dysplasia (lichen planus)
Dx Sept/11 TisN0M0 SSC Lt Tongue
Sx Oct/11 CO2 Laser Glossectomy
Sx Mar/12 Release of tongue anchoring (Skin graft)
Lingual Nerve Damage