My name is Tracy 46 single, no dependants....currently unemployed frown Adamant Non Smoker, social drinker,(previously was a nurse)

I have has a dx history of Moderate dysplasia (Lychen Planus) since July 2009 to the left lateral underbelly of my tongue. Monitored by the Oral Cancer Screening Clinic with the BC Cancer Agency in Vancouver Canada every 3 months and was told only 15% of all Lychen patients go on to develop Ca. (I suspected I would be in that 15%....gut instinct, poor healing after biopsies, increased pain following such etc)

I moved to Calgary Alberta last September and it took forever to find a GP but I went to a walk in clinic and asked for a referral to an oral surgeon as they don't have any kind of provincial screening program here (lame-o!!) and was refered to my ENT. He saw me for the first time 4 months ago but only took pictures and did not do a brushing or biopsy until this September and 3 weeks later got the news that it was Ca. Gee Thanks :P

I do not know what kind, or stage. Forgot to ask. Too nervous at the appt. I have since sent an email to the office with more questions and am waiting for a response. Going for a CT of the head today. I was told it was superficial and that the post op recovery would be similiar to that of a tonsilectomy. However he did mention something about a skin graft from my thigh if necessary (for closure of the wound? I dunno)

I thought the trend was to minimize invasive procedures with oral cancer these days and that radiation to shrink areas was a prefered method rather than disfiguring the oral mucousa and altering and interfering with speech/feeding and self esteem etc.

Any advice? What kind of questions should I ask??

Tracy Dx @ age 47
Single No dependants
NS/Social ETOH
Clinical Study (early detection)
Dx July/09 Mod. Dysplasia (lichen planus)
Dx Sept/11 TisN0M0 SSC Lt Tongue
Sx Oct/11 CO2 Laser Glossectomy
Sx Mar/12 Release of tongue anchoring (Skin graft)
Lingual Nerve Damage