Roma,

I think if you have a good "Treatment Team" that you should follow their advice and probably do it the way they recommend, but it is wise to learn all you can, ask questions and challenge anything that seems questionable.

After my PEG was installed, I was under the care of the Hospital's Nutrition Center, then after a week of RT I was switched to care of the CCC's Nutritionist until the PEG was removed. I had appointments with a nutritionist once or twice weekly.

My liquid PEG diet was provided (Nutren 1.0 @ 250cal/can).

I asked about the Carnation 560, but was told it was too thick for direct PEG feeding (needs thinned down) and orally they preferred the Carnation 325 or a 250 calorie product to help assure that we are getting enough liquid to prevent dehydration.

I never had much of a problem drinking, but many people do and that can lead to dehydration very very quickly, So if your husband goes without a PEG and uses the Carnation 560, you have to be sure he also drinks enough fluid.

The Carnation 560 might save some cost, but it really won't minimize swallowing because he will also need to drink enough to consume around 72oz of daily fluids (check with his nutritionist for his actual requirements).

Also keep in mind that a PEG can not overcome nausea, but it might help with taking the meds to control it. Nausea can defeat the PEG and lead to dehydration and weight loss. I was so nauseated during my last week of RT that I couldn't even hold water down and within less than a week I ended up dehydrated and needed two re-hydration IV's.

Don
TXN2bM0 Stage IVa SCC-Occult Primary
FNA 6/6/08-SCC in node<2cm
PET/CT 6/19/08-SCC in 2nd node<1cm
HiRes CT 6/21/08
Exploratory,Tonsillectomy(benign),Right SND 6/23/08
PEG 7/3/08-11/6/08
35 TomoTherapy 7/16/08-9/04/08 No Chemo
Clear PET/CT 11/15/08, 5/15/09, 5/28/10, 7/8/11